People irrespective of age with certain conditions are prone to risk of illness from Coronavirus. Coronavirus leads to a new disease known as Covid-19. The disease is so severe that it may lead to hospitalization, admission to the ICU, intubation or mechanical ventilation, or death. Also, minimal information is available on the Covid-19 disease as it is a new condition.
The following are the conditions that might lead to a high risk of severe illness from Covid-19:-
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women are at severe risk from Covid-19. Women who are affected by Covid-19 can give birth to premature babies. They should take the following precautions:-
- Go to check up at regular intervals.
- Follow the diet chart given by her healthcare provider and take medicines on time.
- Seek the nearest hospital in case of an emergency.
- Cancer: It is not known whether it increases the risk or not.
- People who have cancer must consult a doctor and take precautions beforehand.
- Take medicines timely.
- Seek emergency care if required.
- Smoking: People who smoke have a high risk to get badly affected by the virus. Following are the precautions that one must take:-
- Quit smoke if possible.
- Seek immediate help if an emergency arises.
- Chronic Kidney Disease: People with kidney disease and especially who are on dialysis are at high risk.
- Dialysis patients must not miss their appointment with the doctor.
- Take medicines as prescribed by the doctor.
- Liver Disease: Chronic liver disease includes alcoholic liver disease, non-alcoholic liver disease, and also fatty liver diseases. This can lead to high risk from Covid-19.
- Overweight, Obesity or Severe Obesity- Obesity is a condition in which the Body Mass Index is between 30 kg/m2 and <40 kg/m2 or severe obesity in which the mass is 40 kg/m2 or above which can lead to severe illness from Covid-19.
- Dementia: It is a neurological condition which might lead to the risk of getting affected by Coronavirus.
- Heart conditions: Diseases such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, pulmonary hypertension, or cardiomyopathies are some of the heart conditions.
- Sickle Cell Disease and Thalassemia: Both of these are a type of haemoglobin disorder. These diseases increase the risk of getting Coronavirus.
- Asthma: Coronavirus mainly affects the respiratory system of a person. So asthma patients need to be very cautious about their health condition.
- Asthma patients must keep their asthma under control and not let it trigger.
- Keep all the prescribed medicines and inhalers in stock for the next 30 days.
- Call the nearest health care centre or hospital and seek immediate help in case of any emergency.
- Cerebrovascular disease, Hypertension, Cystic fibrosis, pulmonary fibrosis, Type 1 diabetes mellitus, Type 2 Diabetes mellitus, and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease are some conditions which also lead to the risk of Covid-19.
In such a condition, due to the Coronavirus, it is essential to safeguard yourself from the deadly virus.
Following are the steps to protect yourself from getting Covid-19:-
- Avoid interacting with people and also try to maintain social distance.
- Take preventive measures while at public places.
Although there is no such way to reduce the chance of getting the virus 100%, we all know that prevention is better than cure. We should take all the possible precautions beforehand. Measures should be taken to reduce the spread of the virus among the community. The following actions are stated below:-
- Cover your nose and mouth while going out in any public places. You may also cover your head with head masks to prevent the germs from getting into contact with your hair.
- Also, avoid people who are not wearing masks.
- Maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet while doing any outdoor activity.
- Do not go out if you have any symptoms of Covid-19.
- Also, postpone plans if any of you or visitors have symptoms of Covid-19.
- Avoid direct or close contact with any outsiders or visitors. Avoid shaking hands, or hugging, etc.
- One should stay at home quarantine if he or she has come in contact with a Covid-19 affected person in the last 14 days.
- If you notice any Covid-19 symptoms, immediately consult a doctor within 24 hours.
- Wash and sanitize your hand often, especially before having a meal. Wash your hands properly with hand soap and water for 20 seconds.
- Do not share your things, like towel, comb, brush, etc. with anyone. Also, try to avoid sharing food.
You should consider the following facts if you are planning to attend or organize any public gathering or event:-
- The risk of getting the virus is the highest if you participate in a vast in-person gathering or event as an individual cannot maintain 6 feet distance in such a large crowd.
- In a medium-sized event or in-person gathering, there is also a high risk of getting affected by the virus.
- The risk is comparatively less in small in-person gatherings at nearby places as the guests come from the local area and 6 feet distance can also be maintained. However, do not share anything with anyone.
- The risk is the least if the event or activity is organized virtually.
What measures must one take if he or she is suffering from a specific medical condition?
- Consult your doctor immediately without making any alteration in your treatment plan.
- Continue all the prescribed medicines until you seek a doctor.
- If an individual is not under any doctor’s care, then he or she must seek an emergency health care facility from the nearest hospital or healthcare centre.
- If you feel sick from your underlying medical condition, don’t hesitate to seek emergency care because of Covid-19. Separate emergency care unit has been set up with full precaution from Coronavirus.
- Keep medicines in stock for the next 30 days. Ask the medicine supplier if they can provide home delivery.